203 Ridge Road, Middleburgh, NY 12122
- Single-family home
- 1 bedroom
- 1 bath
- 1,000 square feet
- Off-grid solar powered
- Propane backup generator
- 4.13 acres
- Parcel 153.-1-5
Off-Grid Luxury with Catskill Views
Escape to your private paradise in nature
Situated on a wooded hillside in eastern Schoharie County, NY, this 4.13-acre property offers the Holy Trinity of dreamy country living: privacy, beauty, and comfort. And, it does it all in an eco-friendly, self-sustaining fashion, thanks to off-grid upgrades like solar power and a back-up generator.
The property’s farmhouse dates back to the nineteenth century but features a totally-modernized, 1,000-square-foot interior renovated in 2011 and refreshed again in 2019 and 2021. Bask in the light of the living room, which comes with soaring ceilings and Anderson windows and skylights. When the weather turns colder, use the double-sided fireplace or the two propane stoves to warm things up, while multiple sets of French doors and a giant Big-Ass fan help circulate air and heat throughout. Fulfill your home-chef ambitions with top-of-the-line Viking appliances, as well as brand-new fixtures and custom cabinetry in the kitchen. At the end of the day, rest in total comfort in the second-floor en suite sleeping loft. The ground level garden room can be converted into an office or even additional sleeping quarters for guests.
Outside, maximize your communion with nature on the home’s raised deck accessible through the living room and kitchen, or on the stone terrace. There’s not a single neighbor nearby, so soak in those views in complete solitude. Let the idyllic surroundings – as well as the knowledge that nearly everything about this house and property has been updated to reduce your impact on the environment – calm your busy mind.
- Separate office area which could be converted for guests
- Nestled along a country road
- Seclusion, privacy and access to nature and stunning views
- Newly-renovated in 2011 and refreshed in 2021
- Designed for low-impact living while retaining optimal conveniences
- Double-height ceilings
- Pristine custom finishes, designer and professional grade appliances and cabinets (Viking, Bosch, Haiku, Big-Ass, Perrin & Rowe, etc., most with Energy Star and/or Go Green certifications)
- Extensive windows/skylights, double doors
- Extensive views from eat-in kitchen, living room and deck
- Maximum thickness spray-foam insulation
- Two propane heating fireplaces (Napoleon)
- Wood burning fireplace
- Utility shed (housing solar controls and batteries)
Move-in ready for the new owner’s finishing touches!The owners developed this cabin into their dream of what off-grid living could be. They imagined a home for their grown children and guests used to the conveniences of modern life. Contiguous to their extensive property, they spared no expense in bringing the site to the highest standards. Low impact, minimum maintenance, but comfortable and inspiring in its natural setting.
History:Historic farming residence, renovated/expanded in 1952 and again in mid-1970s
- Originally built as a farmhouse in the late 19th and early 20th centuries (see the hand dug well, now well-preserved); expanded through the years
- Purchased by the current owners: 2010
- Renovated: 2011-2014 (including new ground well and septic system)
- Refresh: 2019, 2021
- Builder: Kevin Kelly, Rensselaerville, NY
Committed to preservation of the viewshed around the property, the deed will reflect non-development of the lower part of the property for residential purposes.
- Sol-Ark 12K hybrid inverter
- 3.87 kWh DC solar PV display, based on 9 Solaria-Power XT-430C-PD (430 Watt) panels
- 12 48V AGM PCC-230 series carbon sealed solar storage battery packs (33 kWh total)
You May Consider Adding...
- Latest tech LED lighting
- Paths in the woods
- Wood burning sauna in the backyard
Your Back Yard
203 Ridge Road is conveniently situated in the town of Broome between the historic hamlet of Rensselaerville and the fertile valley extending from Middleburgh to Schoharie. Rensselaerville is only 15 minutes away with its beautiful Huyck Preserve and Lake Myosotis and the Hamlet’s local culture. The Schoharie Valley has long been a major source of produce, delivering designer greens to NYC fine dining establishments and historically was one of the “breadbaskets” for Washington’s army during the Revolutionary War. You are right in the middle of farm stands, hiking, scenic views, waterfalls, wild orchards, hops fields and local farm-to-table restaurants.
What do we explore every weekend? Just a few things to consider:
Rensselaerville: Hike the Huyck, Farm to Table at Micah’s, Way Out Gallery
Oak Hill: shopping at Pidgen and Mattice, picnicking at any number of waterfalls and trail/walks in the area
Potter Hollow: the best chicken at Heather Ridge Farm
Middleburgh/Schoharie: Barber’s Farm Stand, walking the views from Vroman’s Nose
Schoharie: Carrot Barn Farm Stand, the North Fort/Schoharie Historical Society
We have counted more than 20 farm stands and sources of local produce within a 20 mile radius!
203 Ridge Road is ideally situated for scenic drives to Hudson (40 minutes), Cooperstown (40 minutes) and Saratoga (40 minutes). Or go explore the Catskills (Woodstock, one hour) and Schoharie Valley, Saratoga (for concerts and the racing season), even the Berkshires (one hour). In the winter, skiing at Windham Mountain is 25 minutes away, Plattekill and Bellayre one hour, and cross country skiing and snow-shoeing is everywhere! The renowned Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival is ten minutes away in Oak Hill.
The Middle of Everywhere
Storm King 90 minutes; Mass MoCA/Clark Museum 2 hours; Opus40, 40 minutes; Ausable Chasm and all the Adirondacks; Lake George, and so many more sites worth the trip!